Slavery in the Bible


I have always had a difficult time explaining to Christians all the numerous reasons why I have come to detest the Bible and its teachings contained therein. Of the the Bible's contemptible teachings one of the worst is that of it's defense (and in many cases indifference) of slavery. 

Many Christians claim that I have read or interpreted the Bible incorrectly. I usually get so frustrated by their hardheadedness and tactless comments that I preemptively end the conversation. Call me "sensitive," whatever, but I out right refuse to have a "serious" discussion with anyone who would defend something as horrible as slavery based on nothing more than the feeling that I am mistaken without giving it any further consideration. 

I don't like being talked down to in such a condescending manner--as if I couldn't read or comprehend the book I studied for three long decades. As if having two college degrees has somehow made me too sophist in my philosophical inquiries. Imagine my dismay when these are the very same conflicted allegations I continue to receive today. Yeah, either I am a moron or an intellectual elitist. That clears things up. 

Such slander doesn't sit well with me--and to make it worse Christians usually throw it out there as a matter of fact--either way--I'm an idiot or elitist snob--either way I am wrong because I do not prescribe to their Christian worldview. But why is the Christian worldview merely assumed to be right? This is the question I had roughly twenty-nine odd years ago, and upon investigating the matter I discovered that... contrary to the ubiquitous opinion of the unquestioning religious... Christianity is not a perfect belief system.

Perhaps, however, my self defensiveness has always had a way of getting in the way of me explaining the exact reasons why I think that the Bible is detestable, contemptible, and immoral.

In my past popular articles, like The Imperfect and Immoral Teachings of Jesus Christ, I have frequently raised several objections to the moral character of the person Christians worship by pointing out his acceptance of human bondage and slavery.

Predictably, however, the Christian defense erupts with claims that I am mistaken, wrong, and arrogant. Who would have the audacity to claim the perfect son of God is in anyway immoral or would gladly allow such a thing as lowly and despicable as slavery? Only a cold hearted atheist who is angry at God--well--that's the usual (and totally inaccurate) spiel of the Christian apologist who has entirely missed the point I was attempting to make. 

In the end, however, am I really wrong? 

No. I don't think so. And here is the why.

In what follows is an extensive, and highly detailed look, at Biblical slavery by the YouTube blogger Discovering Religion. In it he shows beyond a shadow of doubt that the Bible not only condones slavery (rather than condemning it) but also (in part 3) explains my very same concerns as why this destroys the "loving" God theology of Christianity utterly and totally.  

Without a doubt--there is NO redemption for the Bible or its most ardent defenders. Christianity is a corrupt ideology through and through and the good bits (what little there is) are overshadowed by the predominant horrors that it condones. It doesn't matter that modern sensibilities have overridden the unjust practice of slavery--the teachings continue to exist within the Bible as a mark indicating the exact depth of its moral corruption--and taken in their proper context--there is no denying that these teachings are highly unethical, if not downright evil.

Please watch these videos. They explain my line of reasoning with a clarity I sometimes lack. 


Slavery Anti-Apologetics (Introduction) 


Slavery in the Bible: Slavery Dialogs (1 of 3)

Slavery in the Bible: Slavery Dialogs (2 of 3)

Slavery in the Bible: Slavery Dialogs (3 of 3) 

Transcript: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conflating Atheism and Agnosticism is a Mistake

Discussing the Historicity of Jesus with a Christian Agnostic